Sunday, May 08, 2005

Child abuse

The other day my boss reminded me I've been at my job for 5 years. I started as a case worker for abused child with mental illness. Some of the kids that I've met and worked with, I'll never forget. Most of them are craving attention, but there are some with awful stories to tell-stories of abuse, neglect and rape. I remember about a year into it I started with an 8 year old girl that had been raped by her uncle multi times. She was a nice girl and I could never figure out why someone would do that to her. I just didn't make since. In my field, you really see people at their worst. So I began writing a little :

He's already been inside me
and I know it doesn't feel well
I keep looking in the mirror
but it's hard to tell

He's already been inside me
and I would stop him if I could
nothing feels the way it should

Would he hold me in his arms again
and wipe away my tears
Or has he already taken my best years

Fortuately, the girl I wrote this about is doing better. We recently closed her case. It took four years of therapy and a loving grandma, but she is doing better.

6 comments:

windarkwingod said...

I cannot imagine the harsh world you work with on a daily basis. That is a real ministry!

shakedust said...

I have to agree.

I would think the job would get emotionally exhausting once you have seen so many bad situations. Congratulations for your longevity!

f o r r e s t said...

Good Job, BB.
And nice words too! Keep it up.

T said...

I'm glad that there are people in the system like you BB taking care of these precious ones.

roamingwriter said...

Wow -- the pain that exists out there for people. Amazing what humanity can live through. It's cool there are people willing to help them work their way back from something harsh. Kudos to the hard workers!

windarkwingod said...

okay BB, lets move it along now...