Sunday, October 29, 2006

When last I posted, it was looking like we may not be moving, but that seems to be changing. I was offered a job at Trillium in Portland. The pay isn't great, but better than I expected. We still haven't received an offer from Wah-Wah's future employer. They have checked references twice and said that they are very interested, but no offer. I think I'm starting to lose patience with them. The final decision to move will be based on her offer and how much it is. I'm suppose to start my new job in two weeks, but I haven't decided on how I'm going to get out there. I know I don't want to drive the kids out there since it's over three long days of driving. I'm hoping we can ship both cars and just fly out there.
Things seem to be coming together on finding a place to live. My parents did some house hunting and found a home near my work and in a good school district. It's a three bedroom ranch style house. It's got a two car garage and a fire place. I don't think we could afford it, but my dad said that he'll buy it and rent it out to us with the intend on selling it to us later . It's nice to have rich parents. He said the house was in excellent shape. I do trust his judgment since he seems to have good taste in property. I don't like the idea of my dad owning my house, but realistically we couldn't afford this place. Plus I can get out of the house easier if we decide to move. I like the fact that there is a park across the street and it is in a up and coming neighborhood with lots of shopping near by.
Frankly, it's got to be better than what we have now. Apparently I couldn't dump my house off on the neighbors. That plan sank, so now we are going to try to sell out on the market.
We spent the weekend cleaning it up and Wah-Wah even painted the whole inside. She's pretty efficient when she decides to do something. Still just taking it one day at a time

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Two for Two

It is beginning to look like my plan to move to Oregon isn't working out. Today I got my second rejection from one of the 3 companies I interviewed with in Oregon a few weeks ago. That's two down, one to go. The guy from Mid Valley Rehab said that they promoted someone from within the company. It is a little discouraging especially when I went out and bought a new suit and spend a couple hundred on interview coaching. It is good to see that money went to a good cause.
Now my only hope is with Trillium children's services and a really good offer. They called my references last week, but I still hadn't heard anything. I've got a few applications into DFS, but haven't heard back. Wah-Wah hasn't heard from her interviewer yet either, which is really strange. I'd thought they would have an offer when we came back to KC. Unless Wah-Wah gets a really good offer, I'd say that we aren't going to move at this point (which is fine with me). But who knows? We have been back and fourth on moving for so long now, I'd like to see it come to an end and a decision be made. It would be nice to know were you are going to live in a month.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Taking one day at a time

I'm still here and haven't moved yet, but it looks like a good possibility that we may be going to Portland. Last week, I took Woogy and flew out to Portland for some interviews. I ended up staying with my brother (who just moved there the last week) and had my parents drove me around.
My first interview was with Mid Valley Rehab. This is a organization based out about an hour outside Portland. I thought it was a pretty unique company. They find work for MR adults. I interviewed with a bunch of the supervisors and afterwards they took me out to lunch and ice cream (they run a ice cream parlor),. The position was manager of an industrial plant that employed MR adults. Basically, the clients make "widget's" and I would be in charge of the operation. They gave me a tour of one of their facilities to see what they did. We then ran out of time, and I was invited back the next day to see the operation that I would be in charge of and meet with the director.
After that interview, I drove across Portland to Columbia Mental Health. I got caught in traffic and was 15 mins late (I called them to explain the situation. I hope they were forgiving). I met with the supervisor that I was keeping in contact with and was interviewed for a QA position. I thought the interview went well, but I got no tour or anything.
Wah-Wah flew into town the next day and did her interview with Legacy while I met with the director from Mid Valley. I tried everything to sound interested in the job, but he seemed a little skeptical about my lack of business experience. I met with one of the supervisors again, and he drove me out to the site that I would be working in. He seemed like a nice guy and told me all about Oregon.
Following that interview, I drove to downtown Portland and interviewed at trillium Services. Basically this is a position working with foster kids. I pretty much coasted through that interview. I liked the location of trillium, but the pay didn't sound very good.
After all that, I met with Wah-Wah to hear how her interview went. She thought hers went well, but the director seemed skeptical too, however the hiring guy all but told her she got the job.
I am skeptical too about this job Wah-Wah will get. The pay is alright, but she would have to take a train to get to work. Last week we learned just how bad Portland traffic is. Their freeway system is awful, and to get to downtown, you pretty much have to take the train.
We flew back on Sunday, with still no clear idea if we are moving or not. I felt a lot of pressure from my dad this weekend to move. I didn't appreciate it a whole lot and was starting to get a little pissed.
Since we've been back, my boss told me that trillium called her for a reference check, but no one else. I'd say out of the 3 interviews I did, this is the one I'm least excited about. Not because of the work, but it would be a pay cut. They told me during the interview, they take experience into account, but I doubt if they will come close to what I need. The guy who interviewed Wah-Wah already emailed her and said that he would be checking her references too. As of now, no offers, but I think that is going to change.
Wah-Wah believes that the Lord wants us in Oregon. Wah-Wah says she sees signs in her life everywhere. She says that her current boss is unhappy with her. We also have people interested in buying our house. Finally, our babysitter for 4 years announced today that she was returning to work part time. She says that she can watch the kids most of the day, but needs to leave at around 4. If we stay, we will probably need a new babysitter (I'm not looking forward to Nibbles going to a new babysitter). With all the uncertainty in my life, I'm just taking it one day at a time