Sunday, February 10, 2008

Editors in Portland



Last Wed, one of my favorite bands--The Editors were in town. This would be their second visit to Portland in less than 6 months, but I'm not complaining. I'm really loving these guys and they are quickly raising on my list of "favorite bands of all time." I also thought they had the best new album last year with "An End Has A Start."

Sure, they have their critics and get accused of ripping off Joy Division, but I think they improve on that gloomy alternative sound with glass shredding guitars that Joy Division started years ago. They also get some comparisons to Interpol, but I think with their last album, the Editors surpasses Interpol on every level.

The Editors played a pretty intensive show mostly drawing from tunes on their new album and hardly stopping or letting up for almost an hour. Tom Smith (lead singer) is a great performer and the closing song "Smokers in the Hospital Doors" achieves the heights and granduer few bands have matched. Since this band is still pretty young, I'm excited to hear what they will do next.

3 comments:

shakedust said...

My exposure to this band is mostly limited to Forrests compilations. Glad you enjoyed the show.

Portland wawa said...

Were you close enough to take that shot? That's a really amazing picture for being in the audience. I am glad you could go too.

f o r r e s t said...

Did you go solo or do you have a concert buddy?

I need to start paying attention to the shows coming thru town so I don't miss any good ones.