Wednesday, June 27, 2007

fried fish head


The other day, I went to visit a foster mom that I am working with from Nigeria. Being the open minded person I am, I generally think it is OK to have parents from other countries work as foster parents since it develops cultural sensitivity in the foster children they help care for. However, I was rather taken back when I found this foster mom frying fish heads. I asked her what she was intending to do with that fish head. She replied "to eat it of course". I asked if she was serious and she said she was. I told her that most people toss the head and eat other parts of the fish in this country. She said in her country, they eat the entire fish, including the head.
I immediately began to remember the old "fish heads" song. The one that goes:
Fish heads, fish heads
roly poly fish heads
fish heads, fish heads
eat them up...yum!
Sure enough, when my appointment was over, the foster mom was crunching on fried fish heads--eyes and everything. At this point, I wasn't feeling too good and quickly made another appointment for a time not so close to dinner time and told her to enjoy the rest of her fish head.
(By the way, you can find the "Fish head" song on U-Tube!)

7 comments:

shakedust said...

I don't even like the rest of the fish! :P

Portland wawa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Portland wawa said...

I was so revolted I wrote something I didn't want posted. I am glad I don't have your job, honey.

windarkwingod said...

"...Eat them up YUM!" YES! Roamer's mom has nigerians over for Christmas and we always eat a little bit of Goat in a savory Broth. I watched a cooking show last night on Spanish TV. They were cooking Octopus. Lifted a tentacle out of the pot like it was some dude's big old suckered arm in Purple broth! (As an aside: did you ever like punk bands? If so - which ones?)

f o r r e s t said...

I had a mexican friend when I when I was young and at his house it was not uncommon to find a skinned cows head in thier sink with grandma preparing all the different ways to eat it - tongue and all.

GoldenSunrise said...

Wouldn't that be a nice added topping to your Z-man BBQ sandwhich? : )

f o r r e s t said...

no it wouldn't be a good idea.