Saturday, September 22, 2007

Editors vs Smashing Pumpkins


The Editors














Smashing Pumpkins






Recently I had an opportunity some great live music. Within a week I got to see Over the Rhine (already posted on that), Editors, and the Smashing Pumpkins. Between all of them, I would say I enjoyed the Editors best. Here are a few comparisons I have made between the Editors , and fresh band out of England, and Smashing Pumpkins, an old alternative band past their heyday.
Editors Strong new material that sounds great live from their latest album An End Has A Start
Smashing Pumpkins Weaker new material that kind of all sounds the same. Have to rely on older hits like Tonight, Tonight and Bullet with Butterfly Wings to get the crowd off their seats
Editors Led singer Tom Smith pulls his hair back after every song.
Smashing Pumpkins Led singer Billy Corgan has no hair.
Editors Lead singer is jumping up and down and does yoga stretches while he sings.
Smashing Pumpkins Lead singer just stands there.
Editors played a set full of catchy icy tone, glass hard, guitar shard sounding songs. Short, sweet and to the point.
Smashing Pumpkins played long drawn out arena rock that got boring to listen to after 10 mins of the same song.
Editors great potential. Chance to join the rock pantheons of bands like Coldplay and U2
Smashing Pumpkins Over the hill.
Editors $15 bucks to see.
Smashing Pumpkins $60 bucks per ticket.
Editors $20 T-shirt (reasonable by concert standards)
Smashing Pumpkins $40 T-shirt (No way would I pay that for a picture of Billy Corgan on my shirt)
In short, I conclude you don't have to pay the big bucks to see a great band

3 comments:

shakedust said...

I prefer Smashing Pumpkins to Editors, but $15 vs $60 is a pretty big difference.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust only remembers the music of his high school days.

Funny comparison. I think I'd rather see the Editors over Smashing Pumpkins, if I was given the choice.

Portland wawa said...

Pumpkins really kind of sucked compared to the Machina tour 7 years ago.