Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My new job and other things

Things have been kind of hectic around here with Woogy starting kindergarten, Nibbles returning to preschool and me starting a new job as a Case Manager at Albertina Kerr.
I've tried to "hit the ground running" at my new job only to find a lot of barriers that are a little frustrating. One of the problems I have is that I have no space yet. The employees that were suppose to move out, still haven't, so I've got no place to sit yet. Also, I have no computer or phone access yet, making it difficult for me to do my job. Perhaps the biggest frustration is that I haven't been cleared to start seeing kids yet because my finger prints haven't come back yet. HR says that this can take several weeks to months to be cleared Of course, I've been working with kids for 10 years now, and this is the first time I've been told that I haven't cleared to work. I guess there is nothing worse than starting a new job only to find out that they aren't ready for you yet.
From what I can tell, my new job seems more challenging. I guess this is a good thing since my job at Trillium wasn't very challenging. After a while, it seemed pointless to have a degree. Hopefully this will be a nice balance. Ironically, I already know a lot of staff over at Kerr. Most of them were former co workers or are in some way are related to someone I've worked with. Seems to be a small world.
In other news, Woogy seems to be enjoying his new school. All the schools around here have an all day kindergarten and a relatively cheap after school program. Woogy attends the after school program just a couple days a week when Wah-Wah gets home from work a little later.
My own kindergarten experience was rather traumatic since my kindergarten teacher was rather abusive (she was later fired after I left) so I think I was more anxious about Woogy starting school than he was. So far so good. He seems to be enjoying it. I guess that is all I can ask for.
I'm also a little anxious about Nibbles's starting school. Her preschool is a little far, and with my new job, it is a little difficult for me to get her there. The other option is that she takes the bus. Somehow, I just don't see Nibbles getting on a bus without me, nor do I want to traumatize her by making her. Since everyone at my job knows me, they are understanding and say that I can flex my time. Hopefully Wah-Wah and I can work something out.

3 comments:

shakedust said...

Concerned about what they might find on your prints? :)

I hope the transportation thing with Nibbles works out.

GoldenSunrise said...

It is a pet peave of mine also when an employer is not ready for you. I didn't have a desk for about a week at one of my jobs.

I hope Woogy and Nibbles enjoy their school.

roamingwriter said...

Our workplace built a huge building but only planning work space for existing workers -- what we're never going to grow? Not a wise plan.

You guys have done great with all the kid challenges and I'm sure you've probably sorted it out and have a routine by now. Seems parents are generally more anxious about school stuff than the kids are!